ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard O Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:50:15 -0700

DLP displays do have some advantages, but their rapidly spinning color
wheels can cause problems.  Color wheels are susceptible to mechanical
failure, and they also introduce rainbow artifacts which make them
unsuitable for specific uses (e.g. our exhibit "Magic Wand").
Interestingly, about 10% of people notice disconcerting rainbows even when
watching ordinary movies with DLP projectors, mainly when they're projecting
bright lines or spots on dark backgrounds.  But you can also make a feature
out of this bug, and use DLP rainbows to demonstrate how our visual systems
process rapidly changing colors;  they're the temporal analog of spatially
discrete RGB pixels.

Has anyone had any luck with solid state projectors, which use LED and/or
laser light sources?  The new ones are just starting to get bright enough
for museum use (1000 - 2500 lumens), and could offer some advantages.  But I
don't know how well they handle heat and dust under heavy use.

-Richard