ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennie Dusheck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:32:49 -0800

I am late to this discussion because I have been busy writing parts
of an introductory college biology textbook, including some passages
about evolution.

I am not surprised that so many high school biology teachers are
unwilling or unable to wade into the thick of things and teach
evolution as it should be taught. Many teachers are terribly afraid
of conflict over evolution. It's partly poor preparation (they don't
have the background to argue with committed creationist students) and
partly that teachers aren't paid well enough for us to expect them to
go out of their way to dive into a conflict they can so easily avoid.

I'll give an example: A friend of mine was exploring the Smithsonian
exhibits relevant to evolution when she was confronted and actually
cornered by a family of creationists who engaged her and then
attempted to persuade her that evolution was wrong. She says she
argued with them until she was close to tears. And that was only for
45 minutes or so. What if a teacher with less education than my
friend (masters in biochemistry) had to deal with that for days on
end?

As far as the poor preparation, I disagree with Randy Moore, who was
quoted at the end of the New York Times piece as saying that teachers
are well prepared but just reject what they have been taught. First
of all, some biology teachers were taught biology at Christian
colleges that teach creationism. You can major in biology at Oral
Roberts University and go on to become a biology teacher. Such
teachers are not rejecting what they were taught.

Even the majority of teachers who go to secular colleges and
universities don't necessarily get a good grounding in evolutionary
biology. Most biology majors today specialize in cell and molecular
biology and the won't get much more exposure to evolution than what's
in the handful of chapters in a single introductory textbook.
Although many of these introductory textbooks are excellent on the
subject of evolution, far too many emphasize molecular level material
such as antibiotic resistant bacteria, while skimming over the
history of life on earth and the speciation of familar plants and
animals. Basically, macroevolution is treated as an abstraction.

As an aside, a large proportion of college students who study the
life sciences are in pre health and medicine programs, which, with a
few exceptions, de-emphasize evolution. Of the many anatomy and
physiology textbooks in use, I know of only one that even mentions
that the human body is the product of evolution. Most A&P
publishers/authors are too afraid of losing market share to take a
functional, evolutionary approach.

Anyway, to return to my point. I think that the idea that antibiotic
resistance is an adequate explanation for the evolution of whole new
species of beetles, let alone humans, is unpersuasive to large
numbers of moderately rational people. Creationists quite rightly
argue that the ability of bacteria with some specific genes to out
compete bacteria lacking those genes  is not by itself a persuasive
explanation for the appearance of elephants or great white sharks.
Inadequate preparation in evolutionary biology leaves even successful
cell and molecular biology trained teachers vulnerable to  arguments
that create doubt and confusion in their minds about what they have
been taught. Coupled with the lack of support they get from the rest
of the high school, why should they become enmeshed in tense and
unsatisfactory arguments  about this topic with their students?
Hats off to the 28%!

My own current favorite biology textbook is Sadava, 9th edition.

Jennie Dusheck
Co-author, Asking About Life, a college biology textbook