From:
Renee Di Gregorio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:49:33 -0700
Dear Mary,
Yes, of course, that's the bottom line..baby's safety.
I tend to get a lot of calls about this as the holiday season approaches.
"I'm going to party..how long do I have to pump and dump before I can
breastfeed again?"
I recommend moderation.  Many cultures all over the world drink wine as
table beverage throughout the year..where even children can consume.
I tell mothers that they need to remember that their tolerance level is
drastically different than it was pre-pregnancy.  Where as before a couple
of glasses of wine was no big deal..but now, a half of glass could quickly
bring her to mild inebriation. I recommend that she eat prior to drinking..
ie something in her stomach is always helpful.  To also considered pacing
her consumption if it's an evening of socializing...with snacking and
drinking water or tonic between alcoholic beverages.
Too many moms think that they must deny themselves (be it alcohol consumption
or breastfeeding in public)which can bring negative feelings and thusly premature
end to the breastfeeding relationship.  I feel my role is to provide tools/suggestions
to bring normalcy to the life of a new mom.
Renee'