From:
Dave Harman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:14:38 -0800
No one in my family collected 78's so the only music I heard in my early
childhood was myself playing the piano as I took lessons from age 6 to
age 11

When I was 13 we moved to an area which had a classical music station.
One of the pieces I really likes was Mozart's Symphony #33.  My mother
took me down to a record store to by the LP with this piece.  Also on
the LP was Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and the Adagio and Fugue in c Minor
conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

I got to really like Eine and I still think the Adagio is the most
Romantic thing Mozart wrote Even with the HIP performance practices in
effect, I think the piece benefits from performance with a full string
orchestra.

My first exposure to 20th century music was when I was 15 and was
staying over at a friend's house.  We were listening to the classical
music station and the announcer said "And now, a new symphony by the
Russian Composer Dimitri Shostakovich" It was the 10th symphony.  It was
also the first time I realized that classical music was being written
in the time I lived in.

Dave Harman
El Paso, TX