HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elizabeth Hoag-Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:08:27 -0800
April, your question sounds intriguing. In what context did you recover this mouthpiece? Back in my collegiate days of music history, I remember learning that in some instances a tavern might have their own set of musical instruments (more in the old world, I think), although for something like a penny whistle or recorder an individual might own one also. Regardless, I would think that such instruments would not be casually discarded, since not everyone can make another one. I am really interested to hear what others are saying about this!

-Beth Hoag MA, RPA
Adjunct Faculty, Cuyahoga Community College
Cleveland OH