From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:44:07 -0700
Hi Waldig:

We sell most of it in barrels to the Alberta Honey Producers Co-op in Spruce
Grove. Some of it (very little - I am not much of a salesman) we sell in 1
kg or 3 kg tubs to friends.

It is granulated hard within a month, but we find that if you warm it up in
hot tap water until it is soft and then stir it thoroughly it will stay soft
for several weeks. The stirring seems to be the key. If you don't stir, it
quickly resets itself. The stirring seems to disrupt the intergranular
bonds.

The co-op, I believe, pasteurizes it as a matter of course. We used to put
it up in glass jars, liquify it, and sell it to the health food stores, but
they did not sell very quickly and we had to take them back and reliquify
them after about three months. It did not seem to be worth the trouble.

We also used to make a lot of comb honey, but it had to be kept frozen until
use to prevent granulation. We produced some this year as a by-product of
our drone trapping experiment.

                                    Best regards

                                    Donald Aitken