HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:32:28 -0400
George,

Thanks for the reference. I got Fischer's excellent book out of the library, and found a copy for $1.99 which is en route. He does have compiled lists which I will be abstracting, but my main interest is in farm equipment and to a lesser (and way more easily attainable) automotive prices from the Civil War onward as they come to flourish on farms and are now sometimes found in clumps of trees in the backs of farms. Steam machine prices vary astronomically from mfr to mfr and year to year. IC engine introduction stabilizes the wild fluctuations.

How this all plays out on farms, tenant farmers and share-cropping situations from Reconstruction up to the near total mechanization of agriculture in the 1960's is where this is pointed.

Lyle