Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:39:00 EDT
Karin, and anyone sitting for the exam,

I feel your pain. A written exam, multiple choice yet, on a set of
behaviors and a relationship like breastfeeding, simply has untold limitations.  I
have voiced my concerns for years on this. An exam on the science of
lactation  is one thing, but breastfeeding is something so much more intuitive,
complex,  interrelated and organic. When I sat for my Physical Therapy boards,
there was a  written component and a practical component, on its own day,
which involved  working through 2-3 different scenarios in front of a panel of
several  experienced therapists. There was interaction and if this/then
that kind of  stuff, which I think is SO key to how we help mothers and babies
when they are  struggling. This must be completely impractical for an
international exam (  my boards were statewide). I've taken the test twice now (
having been  IBCLC coming up on 13 years) and I do think the exam has been
improved in  several ways, but it will always fail to measure a lot of what
the most  compassionate and knowledgeable helpers know and do. I felt like I
had learned  so much in the 10 years between sitting it the first and second
times, and my  score was only slightly higher the second time. I will leave
you with two ideas:  1. pass, just pass. If you have worked with moms and
babies, and are  studying/reading/keeping up with things you should do fine,
and that is all that  needs to be done for an exam like this. Your compassion
will not be measured,  nor will your true ability to do the needed if
this/then that and the give and  take that happens when we work with moms and
babies in crisis. As long as  you have those things anyway, you will be a great
help to families and that is  what we need: professional competence and
human interrelational caring.  Some people who do not have them will pass the
test, and that is sad, but true.  Sometimes I know I gave the answer I knew
the test wanted, knowing I would not  do that in real life. 2. You are not
alone in your frustration! I know I will be  thinking about all the caring,
nervous/anxious/even  angry people ( from  having to deal with this kind of
exam...:) on Monday and I bet others will be  too. May all of you who care so
much and work so hard be able to do what the  exam needs to get out there
and follow this calling.
One small caveat: bring socks and a sweater...:) I wore sandals and my feet
 were freezing!

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL