From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:38:52 -0500
Hello All,
One of my bee locations called and said I needed to move the yard as the CRP
land was to be sprayed to kill the lespedeza when the grass is 6-8 inches
tall.
I told the farmer I normally do not move the bees if only roundup is used as
almost all these farmers are using roundup to burn off the fields before
soybeans and I have seen no bee kills.
I called MFA coop and found out roundup by itself is not getting the weed
kill it used to ( and is advertised to do) so 24D is being added ( under a
section 18 I imagine).
MFA says the use started a few years ago and has grown. MFA recommended
moving my hives from the area.
In the soybean fields the 24D is being used to kill the henbit which the
bees are working hard this time of year. Spraying is done in daytime when
bees are working the henbit.
It is my understanding that 24D only kills bees when sprayed on bees and the
bees do not make it back to the hive.
I would appreciate any information the list could provide involving the use
of 24D and honeybees. Jerry B.?
Thanks in advance.

bob