Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:25:20 EDT
A mathematician may be a statistician, but then again may not be. I was
surprised to see this person falling into the same trap others fall into,
saying  the breastfeeding must not make a difference because her children didn't
have  any fewer ear infections ( or different IQs,  gastrointestinal
infections, insert point of choice) than the  neighbor's children. Statistics
don't claim this, unless I'm off on my  statistics. Statistics say things about
groups, cohorts, populations not about  an individual. In a group of 1,000
children, the breastfeeding group should have  fever overall ear infections,
fewer cases of childhood leukemia, Type 1  Diabetes, etc. This is not the
same at all as saying my child is healthier than  yours ( or not) because of
breastfeeding.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL