ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Punt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:53:10 -0700

Hi Wayne,

Last time I checked, California does not provide tax exempt status for items
purchased for museums unless they were on display, and even then, it only
applied to the two museums specifically named in a piece of state
legislation (those two would be the California Science Center and the
California African-American Museum, both state museums).  I worked at the
Science Center for years, and we always paid sales tax on purchases for
administrative purposes.  I think that applied for lab supplies, too.

Sorry!  I know it's very unusual.  Could be worse - in Arizona they have a
"use tax," which is different by county and by city and applies with wacky
percentages on certain types of expenses.

Cheers,
Barbara

Barbara Punt

Punt Consulting

409 North PCH, Suite 326

Redondo Beach, CA  90277

Telephone (310) 937-3366

Fax (815) 377-3633

Barbara @puntconsulting.com

www.puntconsulting.com

http://www.puntconsulting.com/

When in doubt ... Punt!

Hi Wayne,

--
It has removed 24645 spam emails to date.