From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:45:03 -0400
I have been corresponding with a third-time mother who is not
responding to the pump.
Does anyone know if  the synthetic oxytocin spray is still available,
and if so, where to get it? Other suggestions are also welcome.
Here is her story, reprinted with her permission.

TIA, norma

--
> - Currently breastfeeding my 3rd child.
 - nursed the first and second with no problems
 - with first son I was still attending college, so I had to pump for
when he went to daycare, using Ameda Purely Yours with good results.
But within weeks I was done with school and went to being a SAHM, so
my pumping was done. I stayed a SAHM for my second child too, and so I
never really needed to pump for him either.

 - now have 3rd child.
 - back to work F/T when she was only 6 weeks, no supply problems. My
Ameda Purely Yours was working like a charm, and coupled with the fact
that my baby was only taking 6oz tops at daycare, we were great. But
slowly I think I started building up a resistance to the pump.

 -  in the last 1-2 weeks things have gone downhill FAST. While I
don't think my actual supply is in danger (well, I WAS dehydrated to
the point of almost having to go to the hospital last week, but I
remedied that quick), I'm having a huge problem with the pump. I. Get.
Nothing. My 1st post-partum period started a little over a week ago
(on Saturday, June 27th), and it only lasted like 2 days (at this
point I'm not even sure it was a period), but my supply went from my
usual 6-8oz to 2-3oz max. Like I said, this was fine...my baby doesn't
need a lot at daycare (and I'm able to nurse her at lunch so I'm
always around if she needs me), but since that Saturday I haven't been
able to pump anything.

 - I went to the LC, and she watched me pump, let me rent the Ameda
Elite hospital pump, but even that is no longer working. So on a whim,
thinking that if I increased my supply I'd be able to pump more, I
spent this entire past weekend power pumping, taking a nursing
vacation, and using More Milk Plus. The results have been great...I
literally have milk coming out of my eyeballs. But I still can't pump
any of it out.

 - I realize now that my issue is that I have absolutely NO letdown.
It doesn't matter if I pump for 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 30
minutes...nothing is happening. I've tried everything I can possibly
think of: drinking water, relaxing (as much as I can), nursing baby on
one side while pumping on the other, looking at pictures of baby
(nursing), smelling an article of clothing of hers, breast massage,
breast compression, and even taking Rescue Remedy, but even with all
of that combined (and adding a pumping session first thing in the
morning), I still only get 1 oz. And because I used to be able to pump
a lot, I know that when my one boob is full I can get AT LEAST 6oz out
of it. So to only get 1/2oz from it is extremely disconcerting! <

Norma Ritter, IBCLC, RLC
Breastfeeding Matters in the Capital Region
www.NormaRitter.com
http://normaritter.blogspot.com/