ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:13:58 -0700
7bit
From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>

Ah! A great question - and one that has boggled physicist for maybe 250
years.

Of course, as far as the model goes, it is just a model and may only be
'illustrative' of one particular aspect of reality - not the reality
itself. One could argue that all real things illustrate reality, it
their own way - even this model as simple as it is. So, probably the
little marble does deform the sheet enough for the big ball to roll
toward it - if you could look closely enough at it. Still, the problem
with any model is that they are not perfect representations of what they
are modeling. If they were, they wouldn't be models anymore.

So let's see, there's the Strong force, the Weak force (sub-atomic
forces?), the Electro-Magnetic force and Gravitation Force. Is that
right? Aren't we looking for a 'unifying' theory that will connect all
forces and maybe describe the other side of the gravity question?

I've heard it described, by physicists that know what they are talking
about (I certainly don't qualify) that the expanding universe can be
seen as a the repulsive force of gravity. Now, this isn't a particularly
satisfying explanation to me. The repulsive force seems to come from the
outside of the two things being 'repulsed' and not from the things
themselves. And yet the expansion was caused by something 'inside.'
There does seem to be a connection between gravity and acceleration so
maybe some of the 'real' physicists that lurk on this list will care to
chime in.

I was in way over my head at 'Ah!'

Joe R.