From:
Ellen Kadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:43:46 -0400
Jaye writes about a mother who has expressed relief about not having to feel
guilty about formula feeding her baby after trying to breastfeed.  This, after
reading or hearing about the recent article in the "Atlantic".
Frankly, I am concerned that this mother was still feeling guilty.  According to
the post, she could not breastfeed for a variety of issues. I presume she tried
mightily, or perhaps received bad-or even appropriate- advice about her
particular circumstances and was not encouraged to try to breastfeed.
This is exactly the mother whose baby benefits from the use of artifical baby
milk.  Thank goodness there is something available so that she can nourish her
baby appropriately.
In my 20 years as a professional (and longer with LLL) I have always tried hard
with mothers who are  not able to breastfeed their babies to make them feel
that they are wonderful for having tried, (or considered it) and now they
should move forward-not looking backward-and enjoy nurturing their babies
and being a wonderful mother.  It is not my place to judge them, allowing
myself to think that I might have done things differently, or better.  I assume
that every mother does the best that she can.  And I remind mothers that
when you do the best that you can, you've done a great job.
Different people will get different messages from this article, taking from it
what they need.  I have received several comments already about how
unbalanced it is, and how unscientific.  These have been from lay people.  As
for me, I will continue on about my work and comment on it only when asked.
I will offer references when asked, and I fully intend to cite the latest article
regarding SIDS and breastfeeding.
Heading off to lead a Mother's Group now

Ellen Kadden, MA, IBCLC
Stamford Hospital
Stamford CT
and already worrying about the recert test coming up in July