ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 2009 23:30:14 -0500

That sounds like a terrific course!

I suggest Terri McNichol, Ren Associates
(http://www.benshen.com/renassociates/about.htm), as a guest speaker.
She recently shared with me a draft of an essay-in-progress that
seems pertinent to your class's themes. It's about a very fruitful
assignment she has given community college students for a number of
years. She has required them to visit museums (often their first
time), to choose a single piece of non-Western art, and to write
about their responses to the object.

Beyond showing how this bears on museum audiences and cultural
diversity, Terri connects the students' experiences to larger issues
of sustainability, organizational development, and critical thinking.

Rather than simply inviting Terri to talk about this project, you
might want to have her give a mini-workshop--in effect, replicating
the assignment with your students and then talking about how to use
the strategy in practice in other settings. I think it would provoke
a very interesting discussion.

Karen
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Independent exhibit curator and museum consultant
Visiting Scholar, History and Sociology of Science, University of Pennsylvania
Guest Curator, Come into a New World: Linnaeus & America exhibition,