ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barry Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 00:44:45 +1000

Scott,

You may be able to develop an exhibit using a strobe flash and simple camera with a long exposure connected to a TV monitor.

Have a look at this image of mine for instance.

http://www.pbase.com/barry_2718/image/92643503

Kind Regards Barry Moore, Operations Manager Wollongong Science centre and Planetarium, Australia

Email [log in to unmask] (Personal and Toastmasters); [log in to unmask] (Professional)
Photo galleries at http://www.pbase.com/barry_2718
My Quote: "A photograph is no substitute for the experience but memories fade and digital photographs don't"

> Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:33:28 +1000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Bouncing ball exhibit
> To: [log in to unmask]

> Scott,
>
> might not be what you are looking to achieve, however
>
> like Galileo I'd suggest you could run the experiment on an inclined plane.
> have the ball on a track ( pair of rails etc), with the ball captive between the rails.
> Have a finger slot to allow them to push it up hill, and release.
>
> having it on the slope slows it all down, so your sensor system has a bit more
> precision ( ultrasonics are good, bit can be a little slow - sound only goes so fast).
>
> It also means the ball is held in a very defined path so your sensors don't have to deal with the ball following different
> paths on each bounce.
>
> I;ve seen and used a range of sensors. video capture could work with a bright coloured ball as target, but
> with simple cameras you're limited to 25/30 fps, ( so in a 0.5 meter drop you'd get around 8-10 samples) so you might need to run it on a ramp to slow it down and get enough points.
>
> parallax ping ultrasonic sensors are faster and you might get 50 to 100 samples a second.
> there are some good cheap optical range sensors that would work at about 100 plus samples a second, but not on a steel ball.
>
> and you could run a set of photo gates.
>
> if you used a steel ball ( and steel plate to bounce it off), you could use and electromagnet ( either fixed or slidable along the track) and use the
> release of the electromagnet to sync/start the data capture.
>

> Just some thoughts.
>
> Stuart Kohlhagen
> Director Research and Development
> Questacon
> The National Science and Technology Centre
> Canberra

> We are considering developing an exhibit activity where visitors bounce
> balls and see the bouncing motion graphed in real time. The goal of the
> activity would be for the visitors to use the mathematical
> representation of the motion to compare how different types of balls
> bounce.
>
> Has anyone developed or seen an exhibit related to this? We are
> especially interested in how others have dealt with the issue of loose
> versus contained balls. Loose balls are a nightmare but a mechanical
> reset option might be equally as challenging.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Scott
>

> Scott Pattison
> Senior Exhibit Developer
> Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
> 1945 SE Water Ave
> Portland, OR 97217
> 503.797.4673
> www.omsi.edu
>

> Crack the Case - CSI: The Experience now on exhibit May 23-Sept. 15

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

> [...]

Looking for a place to rent, share or buy this winter? Find your next place with Ninemsn property
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Edomain%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Fs%5Fcid%3DFDMedia%3ANineMSN%5FHotmail%5FTagline&_t=774152450&_r=Domain_tagline&_m=EXT