From:
Julie Conaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:13:26 -0500
Both companies make the claim that their addition of DHA/ARA to formula
advances infant vision and brain development.  This claim is made under the
assumption that, since breastmilk contains DHA/ARA, their manufactured
versions of these nutrients will do the same.  My understanding is that there is
no conclusive evidence to support this claim and they are misleading the
consumer.  They make claims that they are 'more like breastmilk', even to the
point that many consumers believe that they are made from human milk.

This is my thought on the matter, but I don't feel I know enough about it (or
have evidence to back it up) to write an effective letter.  I too would like
guidance in writing a complaint.

I've had a silly advertising idea in my head for some time, and would love to
present our nursing staff with a funny sales pitch for "Mama-lac".
This 'product' beats the competition in every area, including the convenient,
attractive, and eco-friendly packaging!

Julie Conaway, RN, IBCLC
Missouri, USA