Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:48:20 +0900
Jaye Simpson, IBCLC <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A long time ago I heard about a study done by a couple of bf researchers who
> found breastmilk in a hot car did a bunch of tests on it and it was
> fine.thus came the statement that breastmilk can be left out at room temp
> for up to 10 hours.
>
> Several of my moms are on other on-line-mommy-groups and are getting so much
> mixed information on this and other milk storage questions it isn't even
> funny.  Different websites (reputable ones even!) have different information
> which is very confusing for the moms.
>
> Does anyone have access to that study or any others that researched these
> issues?

Michelle Kinne has offered the J Barger reference. On a related and also
very commonly asked question, re-using breastmilk that has already been
offered once, there is a small amount of data from Rachel Brusseau,
"Bacterial Analysis of Refrigerated Human Milk Following Infant
Feeding", which is cited at kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/reusing-expressedmilk.html

Brusseau's full study seems to have disappeared from the web, but I have
a copy if anyone wishes one.

I really wish there was more recent, large-scale published data on these
frequently asked questions.

Lara Hopkins