From:
Mendy Cockrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:26:27 -0500
> From: LACTNET automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 05:30:51 -0500
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LACTNET Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 - Special issue
> (#2009-193)
>

>  How many of you had tongue tie at birth?
>
> Was it treated?
>
> Do  your offspring have tongue tie?

I (born in USA) was not tongue tied and I don't believe anyone else was in
my family. My husband and his family (British) have a history of tongue tie.

Three of my four children are tongue-tied.

Nursing with the first was excruciating (sore, cracked and bleeding nipples)
for the first few weeks. Retrospectively, I chalked that up to the fact that
he was given water bottles in the nursery. No one checked his tongue that I
was away of at birth. I didn't even know of TT then. We had no ultrasounds
during pregnancy except for checking heartbeat at checkups. He has no speech
issues and needs no orthodontia.

Nursing number two went fine. She was born at home with a CNM. No
ultrasounds during pregnancy except one or two times BRIEFLY at delivery for
heartbeat. I don't remember anyone looking at her mouth, but since I was a
LLLL, I think they trusted that I knew what to do to nurse, etc. I noticed
her TT but since we nursed fine, speech was fine as she grew, I thought we
were in the clear. She is getting the long face look that Dr. Palmer
discusses and has had other symptoms he mentions (history of bed wetting,
sleeps with her mouth open) but doesn't snore. She is NOW (age 12) having
trouble with lisps and an orthodontist says she tongue thrusts which has to
be corrected for braces to be able to effect a permanent change. We have
gotten a referral to an oral surgeon to assess her TT (I asked how that
might have affected her issues and the orthodontist didn't know.) It does
bother me to think about a release now because it looks rather tight to me.
Sometimes I wish I had it clipped as an infant. But we weren't "broken"
then, so why "fix" it? ... My thoughts then.

Number three, born at home with different midwife. No ultrasounds at all
even for heartbeat. No mouth assessment for probably the same reason as
listed about. No nursing problems. No speech problems so far. She also needs
braces. Doesn't have same problems as sister above.

Number four, born at home with midwife. No tongue tie. No speech issues.

Mendy

-- "The future of humanity passes by way of the family." Pope John Paul II,
Familiaris Consortio