ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
martin weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:04:32 -0400

William

I don't know about the viability of virus or other bugs on stamp pads
but it might ot be hard to find out rom CDC or some university
research lab.

My experience with hand stampers is that they don't hold my hand so
contact is minimal if at al. And the risk would be for the stamper.
Think of touching 2, 500 hands or more in a day while the visitor only
touches the stamper once.

Yes, a quality educations staff is helpful but city state and federal
agencies produce a lot educational materials and local departments of
health would probably be very helpful.

Maybe ASTC could come up with helpful guidelines for what to tell
visitors about their fears of the flu and other bugs. There is a lot
of expertise amongst colleagues.

Martin
On Oct 15, 2009, at 1:05 PM, William Katzman wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> Martin,
>
> I wasn't particularly talking about the flu virus, as that is just
> one "bug."  However I agree with you that the bigger problem is
> probably between the visitor and hand-stamper and honestly even
> though it can be controlled, it probably won't be.  I honestly don't
> know whether the rubber and ink pad can harbor the virus.
>
> I don't think we want to foment unwarranted fear from the public,
> but nor should we deride the public for their fears - particularly
> if we don't know how well founded they might or might not be.  Many
> places I've known avoided hand stamps not for sanitary reasons, but
> because the public didn't seem to like them.  If the public doesn't
> like them for any reason, is that really where you want to make a
> stand - on hand-stamps?
>
> If you have a really high quality staff and can make this an
> educational moment, then that is worthwhile to pursue - after
> obtaining the correct information, however, I doubt that a lot of
> institutions really have the desire and ability to really delve into
> this and make this an educational moment.  Remember if you're going
> to take this approach then have the correct information in hand and
> remember that people's preconceptions and misconceptions are hard to
> combat (watch A Private Universe to see how that works).  A well-
> designed exhibit or program on this might help...
>
> -William
>
> On Oct 15, 2009, at 10:36 AM, martin weiss wrote:
>
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>> institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> William;
>>
>> I wonder if inks which are solvent based(?) can harbor the virus.
>> The problem maybe in hand touching between the visitor and the hand-
>> stamper during the stamping process. However, that can be easily
>> controlled.
>>
>> I think the problem is fomenting unwarranted fears amongst the
>> public. We should be presenting information that presents the risks
>> clearly.
>>
>> Maybe a sign at the hand stamping station with appropriate
>> information and training for the hand stamper about how to minimize
>> hand contact and information for visitors..
>>
>> Martin
> William Katzman
> Program Leader
> LIGO Science Education Center
> (225) 686-3134

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .

> [...]

Martin Weiss, PhD