ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 09:00:18 -0400

Hi Bruce-

If you want something really on the cheap and light, we use hollow-core wooden doors.  You can use their hinges and put them together in a zig-zag pattern for stability, adding a few wooden brackets on top.  The cracks in-between allow visitors a "sneak peek" and generate some "buzz."

We often use them turned horizontally, to create a 3' tall barrier when changing exhibitions-  it's easy to make some wooden brackets or spacers and hold them together with drywall screws (again in a zig-zag pattern). We hinge one pair of doors so we can go in and out, adding a clasp lock. Visitors can see what is going on (and you can answer their questions), but they don't generally come inside-- but if one of us isn't there, we make sure there are no upright ladders or exposed wiring or anything dangerous in case someone climbs over. This works much better than other experiments with netting or ...

Making an easy-to-use system means that we use the doors too!  And you can paint (repaint) the walls, or put posters on them, or...  Probably not classy enough for longer-term dividers.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY

Hello-
Our museum will be constructing a new hall for traveling exhibits. We are
going to need temporary walls or partitions of some type to divide the
space. Our Architect is recommending Mila-wall.

Have any of you had experience with this brand?

Any brands or types of walls you would recommend?

Any suggestions on height? We will have an 18¹ ceiling and are considering
8¹ or 11¹ height for the movable walls.

Any thoughts or opinions on temporary walls will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bruce Quast
Exhibits Director
Discovery Center Museum