Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:00:30 -0500
It will be interesting to see what comes out of almonds as far as CCD
symptoms re-appearing.

It seems, from some reports here on the BeeL that some commercial yards that
had extensive CCD problems are in great shape and CCD symptoms have abated.
Jerry is probably in the best position to either counter that or agree.

If the observed CCD symptoms are decreasing, then those things that have
been with us all along - pesticides, nosema, Varroa and the like- are not
the cause but something else was. Which would put us back into the original
discussion of CCD in that we might just have had another occurrence of
Disappearing Disease, something experienced by Beekeepers for decades and
still not understood or identified.

What I find very interesting is the different nosemas that seems to be
around that are not exclusive to bees. What if there is a natural cycle of
nosema in nature outside of our bees? Certainly would reflect the cyclic
nature of Disappearing Disease. That idea was addressed way back when about
possible soil pathogens that caused DD so I cannot claim credit.

Also, great post by Randy. It seems it always gets down to agendas (and
ethics). You can prove just about anything if you have an agenda.

Bill Truesdell (who started keeping weather records Dec 21st and, at the
current rate of temperature rise and lengthening daylight, by 2010 we should
be in perpetual daylight and temperatures in the 100s here in Maine. Will be
even worse for the rest of you. All based on observed data so it must be
true.)
Bath, Maine