From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 08:39:15 +1100
And I would say that the point is that claims that a particular formula
support the immune system or improves eye and brain development are spurious
because all the research we have is that any formula harms the immune system
of the child and retards eye and brain development in comparision to the
"standard,"  the standard being breastfeeding.  If they can prove that their
additions actually improve their formulas (and the research is very mixed so
I don't know that they can) it should be that they harm the immune system
less than the previous formula and retard eye and brain development less
than the previous formula...
The question of "what is the standard" is important for as we know, some
mothers use formulas so their baby can get the "extras" that are promoted as
improving brain development in these formulas.
Karleen Gribble
Australia