From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 2009 23:11:39 -0500
Bob said:
>< Bleach dissipates so fast it's hard to believe people would object to
> using a light solution to kill nosema ceranae spores.

Ghislain asked:
> What exactly do you call 'a light solution', Bob.

I would say at least a 1 to 10 ratio as Randy used in his experiment ( less
venigar) . To clarify I have never used an acidified chlorine solution. I
have suggested acetic acid but after reading the findings in ABJ about the
light dose of bleach killing nosema spores felt the method would work best
for my situation.

I think the biggest misconception about commercial beekeeping is that we do
sloppy bee work. I am very particular when working dead outs. I want each
box worked a certain way. scraped clean of wax and propolis. Each set up
done a certain way and certain combs culled.

One difference is we always have a system too save labor and steps. A hobby
beekeeper might carry a single queen excleder and the commercial boys carry
a stack. The hobby beek might clean a hive body on a table when we work
pallets and use drums to hold the scrappings.

I used to reduce all double hive hives down to a single box in spring and
bring one of the boxes into the shop for scrapping/ repair and paint if
needed. Then the next year bring the other box in for scrapping/repair/paint
if needed.

Every box in the operation was looked at  every other year. Due to labor
costs I dropped the practice But did the above when younger and did most the
work myself.

Also the title of this post Acidified Chlorine bleach
"Sterilizing/Sanitizing' is missleading as my understanding is bleach will
only santize as it takes high heat to sterilize.

> In my country, Belgium/Europe, this method is unknown IMO;

Really? Or just not talked about?

generally we
> avoid to use bleach as it is rather harmless to the environment.

Not sure I understand. You avoid as bleach is rather harmless to the
environment?

Chlorine is in swimming pools and drinking water in the U.S. but if you set
a container of water out soon the water is safe for Goldfish. Chlorine
dissipates fast. My understanding is a light spray ( enough to kill nosema
spores) will dissipate from the comb surface very fast. Jerry B.?

bob