From:
Erin Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 2009 22:40:38 -0700
Hi all--

I'm grateful to this listserv and gladly absorb all the knowledge I can from it, but I don't post often because I'm not a beekeeper.

I'm actually a writer (primarily in poetry) obsessed with bees, and I'm pleased that I have resources like Bee-L so I can write with depth and accuracy. Since I haven't been able to afford writing full-time, I have been working a full-time legal research job which I've now lost.

I think this could actually be an opportunity to do exciting and important work that I care about. I'm hoping to find funding to travel and give readings from my bee manuscripts and add an artistic angle to various discussions about bees that are happening, as well as encourage new interest. This will also give me time to meet with beekeepers so that I can represent their stories in my work. (I just finished my MFA in 2007 and don't have any books out yet, though my first bee manuscript, Hive Mind, was a finalist for a major first book award last year. I'm currently finishing its follow-up, Colony Collapse, and I plan for writing about bees to be a career-long priority--they are indeed the magic well that von Frisch so aptly called them.)

Does anyone have suggestions for any bee-related organizations or individuals who could be a source of funding?  Please email me off-list if you have any suggestions; I welcome any ideas that you have.

Thank you again for all the excellent and lively conversation.

Best,
Erin