Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:00:03 -0600
>>Does this include in your view, repealing the prohibition against
>>non-movable frame hives?
>
> This seems to be a peripheral issue.
<snip>
> The question of what hive to use is irrelevant as far as I am concerned.

Actually, skeps are a traditional hive that can be managed, but not
over-managed.  Some inspection is possible, and splits are accomplished the
natural way.  Diseases are not a problem, and are dealt with by simple,
non-chemical methods -- culling.

> If people want to use frameless hives, they can use top bar hives and
> retain the ability to examine the brood, make splits, remove honey etc. I
> see little advantage in the top bar hives except they're cheap.  A hollow
> log is even cheaper but cannot be examined or managed.
>
> Modern beekeeping could be easily carried out...

IMO 'Modern Beekeeping' is a disease of bees and beekeepers.  It is driven
by commercial interests *outside* beekeeping itself -- by the pollination
clients, the honey buyers and most of all by the beekeeping supply industry
and their twin lapdogs, the beekeeping research machine and the beekeeping
press.

Modern Beekeeping has led to rejection of long term solutions in favour of
short-term profits and distorted the entire practice.  We would long ago
have gotten to the point where AFB, chalkbrood, etc. we no issue if it were
not for the moveable frame hive.

(This is being written by someone who has been a commercial beekeeper,
practicing and advocating many of the central practices in Modern Beekeeping
most of his life).