Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:01:32 -0500

Brenda writes:
"I have two babies I'm following on an outpatient basis. They are a very
puzzling pair, and have similar stories. I don't see any evidence of posterior
tongue tie, high or irregular palate, nor anything else that would cause poor
milk intake. Mother's breasts are normal. Both infants simply cannot transfer
milk during feedings.

I have tried SNS with both moms. One of the moms does well with it and the
other hates it, but uses it. Both babies have been supplemented for one week
and based on test weights are not showing any improvement in milk intake
unless the SNS is attached. Their sucks are choppy and irregular, but with the
SNS tubing they are normal.

Am I missing anything? Maybe it will just take some time for these babies to
begin transfering milk. One of these mother is going to continue the SNS for as
long as it takes becuase it is working so well for her. The other is on the verge
of quitting and is going to begin a regimen of feeding one half the feeding by
bottle, then put infant to breast, then finish with the rest of the bottle. I feel
so bad for both of them because they are both so committed to doing this. "

Are you confident in your assessment of TT in these babies? I actually currently have two babies who were
transferring no milk and who had both seen other LCs. Both babies had PPTT's that were missed. One is doing
really well, almost completely off the shield (had a lot of chiro, too) and the other one is making strides as well.
Either way, with or without TT, these babies likely need structural work, chiro, CST, PT, DO? Babies will also
resist taking much milk if they have food allergies or have learned to defend against an oversupply/OAMER.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC