ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jack Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:45:57 -0500

laurie duncan wrote:

> Is any science museum currently considered part of a city parks and recreation system?  If so, is it a partial or fully funded portion of the system?  Are there any pros/cons to considering this type of collaboration?  We are currently a completely private, non-profit entity.
>
> Laurie Duncan
> Education Director
> Discovery Center of Springfield

Although my paying (meager) job is as a Planetarium Director, I am also
Chair
of the Board of Supervisors of Hyde Observatory here in Lincoln, NE.
Hyde is not part of my planetarium or university.
Hyde was built by a committee of people in the community including the
local astronomy club and others who had an interest in astronomical
education.
The late Prof. Carroll Moore of Nebraska Wesleyan University was the prime
mover.  Carroll and the committee raised the money (primarily from one
donor)
to build the observatory.  It was built on land in a public park donated
by the City
of Lincoln.   We are operated totally by volunteers - so about as non-profit
as you can get.   The committee donated the observatory to the city.  We
operate
under the Parks and Recreation Dept.  And we have our original gift which is
in a foundation.  We draw substantial interest which is used for new
equipment
and maintaining the structure (like the new roof and solar panels we
installed a
few years ago).     Our website is http://www.hydeobservatory.info
Contact off the list if you have other questions.

--
Clear DARK Skies

Jack Dunn - Mueller Planetarium