ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lisa Gardiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:40:57 -0600

Greetings Educators!
Do you teach about climate change adaptation and mitigation? Do you
cover sustainability issues? If so, and if you will be attending the AGU
Fall Meeting, I hope you'll consider submitting an abstract to Session
ED-07 (link below) to share your experiences, activities, and curriculum
with others. As the public become more informed about climate change and
its impacts, they are asking the question, “what can we do about it?”
Thus, this is a timely discussion and we'd love to have science center
and museum educators be apart of the discussion!

I hope you can join us. Please feel free to forward this message to
interested colleagues.
See you at AGU Session ED-07!

Best,
Lisa Gardiner
UCAR Office of Education and Outreach
PO Box 3000, Boulder, CO 80307
303-497-2594

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm09/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=325

ED07: Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation Education
educate the public and students about climate change adaptation and
mitigation. Scientifically credible educational resources are very
important as information about the effects of global warming is becoming
more widespread and the public and students are asking the question,
“What can we do about it?” The public is inundated with advice,
sometimes conflicting, about what can be done, ranging in scale from
replacing a light bulb to changing energy infrastructure. Geoscience
educators have a unique perspective on adaptation and mitigation to
share with the general public and students.

This session will explore novel projects, curricula, and education
materials related to climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies
utilized in formal or informal learning environments. We encourage
submissions that highlight high quality educational materials and
strategies that foster a positive attitude about the future.