ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:27:46 -0700
7bit
From:
Bill Schmitt <[log in to unmask]>

I agree that emotion and content are connected. But in what order?  Can the
emotional context prior to the exhibit be as strong as the experience after
the exhibit? Our learning probably may have as much to do with the
conditions around how and why we are in the situation as it has to do with
the experience itself.

The "how and why" creates the emotional buy-in so an experience can be
meaningful.  An example from program experience could be the camp-in
experience in museums. In working with groups of teachers in Ohio (usually
in their 30's and over) I often ask if any had ever been to a COSI camp-in.
Inevitably several teachers are anxious to volunteer not just that they
attended as a child, but also to describe in some detail what they did and
learned and also indicate that the experience was very important for
developing their own science learning.  And it is almost always in the
context of getting lost, eating too much food, traveling through a snowstorm
to get there, hearing strange noises et.   These results are because we
treated the experience as a camping adventure (with singing, dancing, and
exploring in the dark) which enabled them to cognitively engage in exciting
programs with materials to explore and take home.  The kids had a great deal
of control.

Another project was a school curriculum for grades 3 to 5 that we developed.
As much attention was given to inviting kids to be explorers and setting up
"cool" context and involving them in real exploration where their
participation could affect the outcome as was given to content.  The program
was a real adventure.  The results:  A follow up by independent evaluation
with control groups showed significant learning gains in all areas including
content areas that were not covered.   AND a random follow up of kids 7
years after their participation from all across the USA (when the students
were in HS or college) revealed that every student interviewed could
literally recall what they did and learned and rated the experience as one
of the most important learning experiences as students.  Many credited the
project with directly affecting their success in school.  Again we had a
strong emotional buy-in because of the way we "staged" the involvement and
the control we gave to the students.

The Open School in Vancouver, BC had similar results.  Also we did a project
with TVO in Toronto in which we interviewed middle school kids and asked
them where they would go to be involved in or learn science.  Their choice
was a major amusement park in Toronto and not the Ontario Science Center.
The Science center, however, did get great ratings from the kids but their
top choice surprised us.

Another program that produced amazing results was the Junior Naturalist
Program at a Museum if Dayton, OH.  I am not certain what has happened to
the program.

What science learning experience do you remember from grade school years?
If you can identify the conditions around the learning experience and can
identify what you did and how you did it, you may be on to some information
that will guide your own planning.  By the way, is your memory from an
in-school or out-of-school experience?   I believe that the context of the
encounter is usually more important than even the exhibition or exhibit for
producing results.

Oh, Don't forget the High Wire Bike that George Moynihan first brought to
the US at the Pacific Science Centre.  Talk about an emotional experience!
Or think of the totally dark dome that you crawl through at the
Exploratorium (I assume it is still there).

Bill Schmitt
The Science Center of Inquiry