From:
julie taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 2009 08:36:01 -0800
Looking back ( my eldest is 28 this year) I was NEVER offered any advice regarding breastfeeding
Although I had trained as a midwife in England, my husband was transferred to Minnesota before the birth of our first child. In those days midwives were taught to encourage breastfeeding but not actually how to do it ( my training anyway)
 I went out and bought a copy of 'the womanly art of breastfeeding' plus one  one other book ( name escapes me)
I had horrendously sore nipples so I got myself some nipple shields ( ghastly, thick, red rubber) and shells as well. I called LLL in tears one night during a growth spurt and that kindly lady saved my sanity. My mother was back in England and all my friends bottle fed their babies.
I just figured out side lying by myself. I had no idea about counting pees and poops but she did gain weight so I just soldiered on.
Somehow my daughter survived and thrived - despite me!
Julie Taylor
RN IBCLC