From:
Denise Schuler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 10:23:29 -0500
I have permission to post. I am working with a second time mom that is
exclusively breastfeeding her second child (4 months old)--she didn't
breastfeed her first. She nurses and/or pumps with a medela double electric
pump every 2 hours, but still has had a tenuous supply since the baby has
been about 6 weeks old. She works at a hospital two days a week and uses
the hospital-grade pump there every two hours while working or leaves to
nurse the baby. She's been taking fenugreek with some results, but we finally
tried Reglan for two weeks and it worked like a charm. However, when she
went off, her supply dropped dramatically again. We tried another two weeks
a couple of weeks later, but she says it barely worked the second time. She's
currently drinking mother's milk tea and breastfeeding all night. The baby's
needs are met as he is gaining weight (nothing spectacular, but WNL's) and
peeing and pooping well. He receives nothing else but her breast milk. I've
suggested More Milk Plus and Goat's Rue, but she hasn't tried them yet. We
just had her TSH level drawn and are awaiting results. No s/s or concern
related to PCOS, breasts look normal. Mom very rarely feels let down or
fullness anymore and is weeping in my office this morning because she can't
continue to breastfeed every hour all night and doesn't want to resort to
formula. I'm beseeching the wisdom of the women on this site--am I missing
anything that may help?