From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2008 22:15:38 -0600
Unfortunately, I have had several mothers who stated that their babies threw
up their breastmilk but did well with formula. It was a standard cow's milk
formula and so I assumed something in mom's diet was bothering baby.
Typically these moms do not resume bf, for me.
Re the 36 wk infant. My guess is that the baby is not transferring much
milk. Typically a baby just coming of oxygen will still be tachypneic and/or
fatigue easily, no energy, and so the milk transfer is likely very low. The
extra 4mls does not add much to the meal. It seems the baby has gained
weight and then hit a plateau, this too is not unusual, in my experience,
and usually indicates baby needs more volume. I would want to know just what
the milk transfer is on several feeds. Mom should be protecting her supply
with a regular milk expression regimen. I would be reassuring mom that they
are making very good progress. But a baby who is just coming off oxygen at
10 days old, sounds like he was pretty sick. This will be a gradual process,
nothing quick.
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA