From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:06:58 -0600
This is a topic on which I am currently writing and speaking. Here is
another study indicating that some of the problem may be in the feeding
delivery system and some of it what's in the bottle.

Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA
Active LLLL, Lactation Consultant, Ameda Breastfeeding Products
Chicago suburbs, where it is a chilly, gray day

Taveras, E.M. et al. To what extent is the protective effect of
breastfeeding on future overweight explained by decreased maternal
feding restriction? Pediatrics 2006; 118(6):2341-2348.

OBJECTIVE. Previous studies have found that breastfeeding may^ protect
infants against future overweight. One proposed mechanism^ is that
breastfeeding, as opposed to bottle feeding, promotes^ maternal feeding
styles that are less controlling and more responsive^ to infant cues of
hunger and satiety, thereby allowing infants^ greater self-regulation of
energy intake. The objective of this^ study was to determine the extent
to which the protective effect^ of breastfeeding on future overweight is
explained by decreased^ maternal feeding restriction.^

PATIENTS AND METHODS. We studied 1012 mother-infant pairs in^ Project
Viva, an ongoing prospective cohort study of pregnant^ mothers and their
children. The main exposure was breastfeeding^ duration, assessed at 1
year postpartum. At 3 years of age,^ the main outcomes were age- and
gender-specific BMI /z/ score^ and the sum of subscapular and triceps
skinfold thicknesses,^ with overweight defined as a BMI 95th percentile.
We defined^ maternal restriction of infant’s access to food as strongly^
agreeing or agreeing, with the following question from the Child^
Feeding Questionnaire: "I have to be careful not to feed my^ child too
much." To examine the association between breastfeeding^ duration and
our outcomes, we used multivariate linear and logistic^ models,
adjusting for several potential confounders. In subsequent^ models, we
also adjusted for maternal restriction of infant’s^ access to food.^

RESULTS. The mean duration of breastfeeding was 6.5 months,^ and 12% of
women strongly agreed or agreed with the restriction^ question. At age
3, mean for BMI /z/ score was 0.47. Each 3-month^ increment in
breastfeeding duration was associated with a reduction^ of 0.045 BMI /z/
score. After adjusting for maternal restriction,^ the estimate was
–0.039, a 13% attenuation.^

CONCLUSION. The protective effect of breastfeeding on future^ overweight
seems to be explained only partially by decreased^ maternal feeding
restriction.^