From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2009 12:08:02 -0800
Hi All,

A year or so ago, after I had written a series of articles reviewing the
science of varroa and its control, followed by a series on bee nutrition,
bee broker Joe Traynor suggested that my next series be an investigation
into the effects of neonicotinoid insecticides.  I told him that due to the
emotionally-charged atmosphere among some beekeepers that I wouldn't touch
it with a ten foot pole.

A few months ago, despite recalcitrance on my part, Dr Jerry Bromenshenk
implored me to sit in at the intial Bayer/Beekeeper working group as a
beekeeper with some scientific background.  Just as I feared, I had stepped
into a political snakepit!

Folks, there is a huge difference between a scientific investigation and a
witch-hunt.  Dr Bromenshenk's best slide in his presentation was a cartoon
the showed the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning.  In the
first case, one analyzes facts to form explanatory principles; in the other
you start with a premise, and then look for facts to support it.

Inductive reasoning is done with an open mind;  deductive reasoning is used
by those who will cherry pick the data to support their preconceived biases.

I have been asked to approach the pesticide issue with an open mind (as
though I have ever given evidence otherwise).  What I am finding is that any
beekeeper or researcher who does approach the issue with an open mind is
immediately labelled by some as a lackey to the chemical companies!

To date, I have been totally impressed by the candor and transparency of the
Bayer representatives.  Not only do they bring extensive knowledge to the
table, but they certainly appear to be open to constructive criticism, and
to suggestions toward better testing of their products with regard to honey
bees.

Unfortunately, the atmosphere of cooperation envisioned by Dr Bromenshenk
can be hampered by politics and irresponsible claims by beekeepers.  One
such claim is that Bayer Chemical Company (which would presumably be Bayer
CropScience) put pressure on the publisher not to publish the book "A Spring
Without Bees."  This is a fairly easy claim to fact check--I called the
publisher.  The editor that I spoke with actually laughed at the suggestion
that it could have occurred.  Perhaps I didn't check with the right
executive editor--with prodding, she said that she'd check around more.
However, my point is that damaging claims poison the atmosphere of
cooperation.

In another case, a beekeeper asked the Bayer reps whether clothianidin
applied at the label rate one year would be enough to cause toxicity in the
crop the following year.  The obvious answer was "Why would we do that?--we
want the farmer to have to buy it again the next year."  Duh!  It turns out
that the product binds tightly to the soil.  I'M NOT SAYING THAT
CLOTHIANIDIN IS NOT A PROBLEM--this was simply an example of how refreshing
open dialog between both parties can be.

Folks, what I'm asking is that if the bee industry actually wants to get to
the bottom of the insecticide issues, you can't just choose a few darlings
who proclaim that the Evil Axis of pesticide manufacturers have a vast
conspiracy to eliminate bees from the planet.  And you can't burn at the
stake researchers with vast pesticide experience spanning decades (such as
Bromenshenk).  Nor beekeeper/researchers (such as myself) who really want to
determine the facts.

As Dr Bromenshenk pointed out in his slide show, the newer classes of
insecticides are much "smarter," and are designed to effect fewer collateral
casualties (such as to bees or other nontarget organisms).  They are not
perfect, and are indeed poisons.  There is no question that at high doses
they cause problems for bees.

Bayer's responsibility is to help determine which label dosages, for which
crops, and which application methods and timing will minimize or eliminate
effects upon bees.  To that end I feel that Bayer truly wishes to
cooperate.  After that point, it is up to the EPA and the states and
counties to make sure that the regulations are enforced.  That is not a
Bayer or science issue--it is an enforcement issue outside the purvue of
Working Group.

Please, let's allow cool heads to prevail in this endeavor,

Randy Oliver