From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2009 19:07:18 +0000
I have in my inbox, a nice press release from the Academy, concerning
their statement to Facebook.

Does anyone have a URL on this, to share, so I can post it on? I can't
find it on their website.

Many thanks

Morgan Gallagher

- --

//New Rochelle, NY, January 12, 2009—//The **Academy of Breastfeeding
Medicine** feels that the social networking website, //Facebook//, would
be well advised to review its policy banning photographs of
breastfeeding mothers. Such a policy perpetuates the notion that
breastfeeding is an unseemly bodily function best kept from public
viewing, a misguided and antiquated concept that has no place in
contemporary society. It further perpetuates the idea that formula
feeding is normative when breastfeeding is, and should be considered,
normative infant and young child feeding. Health professionals widely
acknowledge that breastfeeding is biologically unique and appropriate
for the mother and infant (cont)