From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:18:21 +1000
Susan Burger wrote:
I know Magda's experience and read a lot of what she wrote and I know Aus=
tralia and=20 some parts of Europe went through an era of weighing every
feed on a 24 h= our basis for=20 all infants.
Susan, I won't comment on all the good points in you post, but I just want
to take up the mention of Australia, in relation to what was called here
"test weighing".
The problem in the past wasn't 24-hour pre- and post weighing, but pre/post
weighs at just one feed, usually in an unfamiliar setting.  Mothers passed
or failed the "test".  On that basis, if the amount taken at that single
feed didn't add up to the desired amount when multiplied by 5 or 6 (the
sanctioned number of feeds p.d.) the nurse at the well-baby clinic directed
the mother to top up her baby with artificial baby milk.  This didn't, or
course, take into account the varying volumes of feeds, and didn't take into
account feeding more often than instructed.  If the amount taken at that
single feed was higher, the nurse reassured the mother everything was going
well, or scolded her for "overfeeding" if the feed was a very large one.
(Susan, I love your posts, with always so much to think about.)

Virginia
In Brisbane, Queensland, Australia