ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Martin Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:08:19 -0400

         I think this is a personal choice, as Ted and Beryl suggest
and perhaps not even  "Ever" but . . .

        I'd suggest an exhibit that I first saw at Science Museum of
Minnesota (probably an oft replicated exhibit)  and I am not sure
what it is called but it is a tube that can be evacuated with a
vacuum pump. You turn it upside down and see a feather and a stone
falling, together, in a vacuum and in then in air, separately, after
you open a valve to the outside and repeat the turning.  It was
something that I had been taught about but never observed until then.
Astounding, for me, connection between theory and practical.

Martin

--
Martin Weiss, Ph.D.
Director of Science