Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 13:58:59 -0600
7bit
From:
Safe Passage Birth Services <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, please send my well-wishes to this mom. When I was expecting #3 my
gallbladder fizzled out at about 31 weeks (it was infected rather than
full of stones, though there were also some stones). I was miserable
and had many attacks--daily following the birth--until I had it
removed at 6 weeks pp. It was a strange experience taking my 6 week
old into the hospital, since he was born happily at home.

The anesthesiologist was very knowledgeable and said as soon as I was
awake I could nurse. I was *very* out of it, but my seasoned husband
knew enough to get my son latched on for me while I was sleeping on my
side. I specifically requested to be placed in the OB unit so that
they were more knowledgeable about breastfeeding/babies, and that came
in handy as I realized I didn't even have a bottle nipple (I did have
expressed milk as I was donating to the milk bank) and needed to
request one. That one bottle was my son's one and only and he took it
fine though we did nothing to prepare him for it. They did require
another adult to be in the room as the baby's support person at all
times.

I had gone in through the ER the night before, but it was essentially
same-day surgery. The referred pain when I got home was horrible. I am
thinking that they didn't send me home with a script for ANY pain
meds, though I had some tylenol-3 left over from the initial attack
and did take that. I do think I would have been sure to have better
pain meds for post-op stuff.

I agree with the person who said to wait until breastfeeding is
established, but in retrospect, I probably would have done it a few
weeks sooner. I was optimistic that I could avoid surgery, but it was
not to be and I ended up just dragging out my discomfort longer.

Good luck to this mom! It was sure a damper on my postpartum period,
but wasn't the horrible ordeal I'd dreaded it would be.

Gina Gerboth
Pueblo, Colorado