From:
"mumma2wldthings @mac.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:22:25 -0400
On Jun 24, 2008, at 9:11 AM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> My favorite story about being asked if baby was "good" came from a
> LLL mom
> in my group.  She said she was standing in line at the grocery
> checkout  when a
> lady asked her, "Is she a good baby?," to which she replied, "Oh the
> last
> time I checked she didn't have a criminal record."
>
> Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

haha, this post has flushed out my most common response regarding my
5th little darling, almost 9 mos old now. you may recall, he is elijah
rayn - born (unexpectedly) breech at home, had bloody stool for
several weeks after birth and was not gaining (dx'ed dairy intolerance/
allergy) ...

  well, he has continued to do everything his own way ever since ! my
other 4 slept through the night right from birth, not so little eli.
at almost 9 mos, he still decides to indulge in lengthy sleep maybe
twice a week. he's still hovering around the 8th percentile on the
growth charts but is already trying to walk. he looks like a 4 month
old rambling around the house, it's quite eerie! in fact last night i
dreamed he was a cyclops baby and i was at an appt w/ the ped and i
was saying, "i can handle the cyclopsism and the fussiness and not
sleeping yet, it's him growing a full beard at 9 mos that is really
too much ..."    !!!!   if that doesn't give a peek into what a
firecracker of a little tyrant this guy is, i don't think words can
suffice.

i've refrained from admitting my shameful defeat at the hands of a 14
pound dictator thus far. after 4 previous children, i'm exhausted and
unable to keep up w/ the house for the 1st time ! and it's much harder
for anyone to b/l i need help b/c they saw me do it all w/ ease
through 4 others! plus this little imp is quite the charmer and
absolutely thrives on getting out of the house and seeing new places
and new faces - he smiles and coos and squirms like an angel sent
directly from heaven. back in our own house, he screams and roars and
wails until i've dropped everything else and sat down w/ him or put
him in the sling or to breast.

my senses of humor and irony are getting me through tho. i just had to
laugh when i saw barbara's post. i've been too proud to admit my
favorite response to lactnet before this. my husband is a police
sergeant and when ppl ask me if elijah rayn is  good baby i always
reply,
"no, he's only out on parole. he'll prolly be sent back any day now."
once i told a friend, "we're not saving any college funds for this
one, we're sure he'll be in prison by then."  it's quite passive-
aggressive of me to thoroughly enjoy the politely shocked faces of our
acquaintances when i so blithely reveal the true nature of this little
scrapper - esp when they know my husband's profession! there's no
harm, tho  - nobody b/l's for a minute he's anything but a dream come
true when they meet him. only our neighbors and close family know the
truth - just take a walk through our neighborhood after 10 pm on a
cool night when the houses all have their windows open. you will be
treated to sweet elijah's warbling and yodeling his indignation that
his mother dared to turn over and sleep on his fragrant and fleshy
pillows !

  i refuse to labor under the yoke pushed on me by having 4 previous
'perfect' babies. the pressure to continue that legacy is incredible !
my own mother in law refuses to b/l this baby is any different tho she
comes and sees w/ her own eyes. at 1st i worried there was something
wrong w/ him, some health problem. but as he's grown and his hair has
come in, i b/l i've found the root of all the trouble and feel better
at least knowing the lay of the land. the hair that is sprouting from
his precious head is coppery, fiery red !  ;-)   now when ppl ask, 'is
he a good baby?' i simply reply, 'he's a redhead.' and all is conveyed
and understood  -and believed! -  in that one devil-tinged word.

~jacqui morris, bsw near detroit michigan
who is an auburny redhead herself and who r/m's very clearly her
mother saying when she was young, 'i hope you grow up and have a child
just like you someday!'