ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joan Freese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:52:57 -0500

Bonnie,

This summer at the Games for Change conference in NY, I saw a format
that was new to me and very effective. Henry Jenkins and Jim Gee
presented a "Fireside Chat," which was basically an informal discussion
between the two, in front of an auditorium of people. The approach
worked because Mr. Jenkins and Mr. Gee are such preeminent thinkers in
the field and everyone at the conference is interested in their work.
The session ended with questions from the audience.

I think it's a great format if you are programming any science "rock
stars" during the ASTC meeting. It felt very behind the scenes and
inclusive, like we were invited to an informal lunch with our heroes!

Joan Freese
Web Producer
SciGirls | DragonflyTV