ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Becky Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:01:42 -0500

We have Playmotion with a variety of applications we swap out seasonally
or to relate to an exhibit theme.  We run two or three applications at a
time, each one on the screen for several minutes.

Insects -- Insects move around the screen and can be captured by
surrounding the insect with your shadow. Capture an insect and a factoid
pops up on the screen.

Solar System -- Planets and asteroids move around the screen and can be
bounced around.  A planet can be captured by surrounding it with your
shadow and a factoid pops up on the screen.

Virtual Water -- Move your shadow to cause a rippling effect in water

Colors -- Move your shadow to leave behind trails of color

Snowball fight -- The background is a snowstorm.  Snow will pile up on
top of your shadow.  A snowball cannon moves at each side of the screen
slowly changing angles.  Press the button to fire a snowball that will
"splat" when it reaches a shadow.

Snowman -- Stand still and a snowperson grows over your shadow one part
at a time.

1) Does the exhibit excite the kids and keep their attention for
relatively long periods of time?

Small children in particular do love to dance in front of the wall and
discover what it does and will stay a while.  Parents love to video the
kids.

2) Do you consider any of the software programs educational?

Minimally.  The factoids on Solar System and Insects are educational. I
don't think people really pay attention to them, but enjoy the process
of making them happen.

3) Is the system a draw for your establishment?

I don't think so.

4) If you have one of the systems below, which software titles do the
kids
seem to like the best/least?  Do you have a system not listed?

Colors and Solar System.  Everyone likes to paint by moving around.
They also like to bounce the planets and asteroids around.

5) Any issues?
Lighting--it needs to be in an area with controlled lighting and without
bright sunlight.

I'm very impressed with what I've seen of the Snibbe products.  They
have some very imaginative aps.  I think anyone would enjoy those that
involve body movement animations like Shadow Mosaic and I love that
Walkabout incorporates measurement (speed in mph, stride length, and
energy score).

Becky Fox Matthews
Senior Educator/Special Projects Manager
Adventure Science Center
800 Ft. Negley Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37203
615-401-5073

Our Mission
Adventure Science Center ignites curiosity and inspires the lifelong
discovery of science.