ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy Peter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:50:48 -0500

Sure, why not.

Although perhaps not the "coolest," my favorite exhibit was the London
Museum of Natural History's "Origin of Species." I only visited it once, in
1993, but its simplicity and effectiveness stuck with me. Visitors traveled
through the exhibit in the same sequence that Darwin's theory evolved over
time, and I remember the content being detailed enough for scientists yet
easily accessible to the general public. I think the exhibit made good use
of "if you are interested, read more" signage and techniques; this satiated
connoisseurs but did not make laypersons feel stupid if they didn't dig
further. The best part, I recall, was a physical detour in the exhibit;
something like "Go here if you want to follow the chronology of Darwin's
discoveries" or "Go here if you want to learn the science behind the
discoveries, which Darwin did not yet understand." I'm sure this is not
unique, but I appreciated the basic learning through doing: physically
walking through the process of discovery.

Nancy Peter, M.Ed.
Director
Out-of-School Time Resource Center
University of Pennsylvania