From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 17:43:10 -0400
We've been bathing babies in tubs from day one for the entire time I've
worked as a midwife, and we don't do any routine care besides washing with
plain water.  I think I have seen one case of a slight inflammation around
the umbilicus in those 20 years, which comprise some 40 000 births.  I am
not aware of any babies ever being readmitted to my hospital, the only
hospital within an hour and a half in any direction and the only one with a
pediatric unit in an even larger area, for an umbilical infection either.
Our practice is standard practice in the whole country.

But here, women are cautioned not to bathe in tubs until their lochia has
become normal discharge again, effectively precluding co-bathing  for the
first month, at least.  Do any of you practice in places where women are
advised to bathe in tubs ad lib?  I'd love to be able to say 'in some
places, they do....' and then tell mothers about co-bathing.
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway