ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erich Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:48:45 -0500

I did the survey. But I am not sure what you are hoping to get from it.
I found myself not completely sure about how to answer many of the
questions.  There is a great deal of gray between some of the choices.
I also found it was not totally clear by what you actually meant by
"design?"  For some, design is mostly about how it looks and for others,
like myself, design is a process of creative problem solving that
doesn't always manifest itself in how things look.  You had a question
about the importance or maybe it was perception of a "designed"
experience by visitors. I was trained 30 years ago as an Industrial
Designer and the look of things was paramount. All too often at the
expense of the actual function. When I found my place in exhibit design
I was so happy to get away from that mind set and into the realm of
designing experiences, not objects. Don't get me wrong, I still like to
work out all those neat details and explore fun new materials but it
certainly isn't critical.  Sometimes the hardest part of the "designed
solution" is how to get it done in this much time for that much money."

Every so often it seems the design world (not just exhibit design) has
to once again legitimize its existence.  If this is where this is headed
I believe it's an important discussion, but we have to all be careful
not to just make it an exercise in showing off the newest and neatest
projects built with those rare large budgets and long time frames.

Erich Rose
Exhibit Manager
Austin Children's Museum
201 Colorado Street