Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2008 00:55:12 -0400
Marion,
I'm sure the mother is appreciating your support a lot.? It sounds to me like baby may be having trouble with slow milk flow when at the breast.? Try feeding some or all of the supplement first and then nurse when the baby is not quite so hungry.??If the milk supply is low, 10 minutes or less?may be all that it takes to get?most of the?milk.?

I have worked with many?mothers who use a bottle for a few days to let nipples heal.??Going back to breast, especially after 2 weeks of nursing, usually isn't a problem unless there was another problem?to begin with.? It would be interesting to know if milk supply was an issue at two weeks.? Sore nipples can be from lots of nursing?without milk flow as well as from a bad latch or ineffective suck.? There are so many things that could be going on here.? Is the need for the shield because baby is used to bottles, or does it mean the baby still isn't sucking as well as needed??

I would focus on trying to find a plan that is workable for a longer time if you think milk supply is a longer term issue.? If supply was great and baby was well over birth weight at two weeks?and now the supply?is just low?due to infrequent emptying, I'd supplement at breast or keep the breastfeeding time shorter and build the supply with more consistent pumping.? That way baby associates the breastfeeding with good flow and not frustration.? I love my very accurate digital scale in these cases.? It helps me sort out how well the baby is getting milk when nursing compared to amounts mom gets when she pumps.

You may also?find the article in Journal of Human Lactation on using a bottle to support breastfeeding helpful.? Search the JHL archives for it?if you are an ILCA member.? It may be 5 years old or so when it was published.? (Let me know if you need a more specific reference)

Natalie Shenk, BS, RN, IBCLC
Findlay Ohio