HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:47:40 EDT
Daniel,

Point well taken, not all ritual objects were bent. Some were, some were
not. There is very little social history to explain the function of the
various  concealment features in houses. Some were actually "builders pits,"
which served  the purpose of appeasing the earth spirits before construction of
a building "on  their land." As well, coins placed between bricks also
served other  purposes.

I believe Merrifield's book is an excellent foundation and that we in North
 America need to ferret out our own data to understand the evolution of
ritual  and thought from the 17th to 20th centuries. Why were some objects
bent? Why  were most of the shoes or boots really beat up and scuffed? Why were
many of the  objects sharp (knives, swords, hoes)? Why were some of the
objects old worn  clothing leather? What is the significance of iron? What was
the underlying  spiritual thinking behind these folk practices and how did
Christianity and  other religions weave into the practice, or not? How did
appeasement and  negotiation with earth spirits and deities evolve into fear of
evil demons or  "witches" invading sleep or causing sickness or death? And,
perhaps just as  intriguing, is there evidence of a continuum of the
practices into the 21st  century?

After presenting my paper, "Soldier in the Chimney" at the 2000 SHA
Conference in Long Beach, California, several local organizations invited me to
speak and show slides locally. Just before one of those talks, the leaders
and I  had dinner in a Greek restaurant. One of the servers overheard the
conversation  and came over to explain how her family in Roumania placed
concealments for  protection and that she has done so in houses over here in the
United States.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 6/15/2009 5:40:46 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,