HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 14:37:22 -0500
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

	This communication provides information on Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center’s upcoming activities. Please check Old Pueblo’s web site
www.oldpueblo.org for details. A copy of this information can be faxed or
mailed upon request to Old Pueblo at [log in to unmask] or 520-798-1201.
	Old Pueblo Archaeology Center is located at 5100 W. Ina Road Bldg. 7 in
the Town of Marana, Arizona (northwestern Tucson metropolitan area).
Please address all U.S. Postal Service correspondence to us at PO Box
40577, Tucson AZ 85717-0577.

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577
Tucson AZ 85717-0577   USA
 	(520) 798-1201 office, (520) 798-1966 fax
	Email: [log in to unmask]

****

OLD PUEBLO ARCHAEOLOGY CENTER’S
THIRD THURSDAYS PROGRAM
Tucson, AZ

	Old Pueblo Archaeology Center’s monthly “Third Thursdays” lecture
programs are held on the third Thursday of each month, free, with no
advance reservations required, at Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, 5100 W.
Ina Road Bldg. 8, in the Marana Town Limits (northwest Tucson metro
area), Arizona.

	7:30 to 9 p.m.  Free.

	TITLE: "The ‘Kino Missions' of Arizona and Sonora"

	GUEST SPEAKER: Anthropologist/folklorist James S. "Big Jim" Griffith, Ph.D.

	Time 7:30 p.m.

	Place: Old Pueblo auditorium, 5100 W. Ina Road Bldg. 8, Tucson metro area.

	Our guest speaker Jim Griffith received the Ph.D. in Cultural
Anthropology and Art History in 1974. He is currently retired after
heading up the Southwest Folklore Center of the UA Library for nineteen
years. He has written several books and many articles on the folklore,
folk life, and traditional arts of Arizona and Sonora. Griffith has led
Kino Mission Tours for the Southwestern Missions Research Center for over
twenty years.

	In his November 15 presentation, Big Jim will discuss the historic
efforts and legacy of Father Kino, the famous Jesuit priest. According to
Jim, Eusebio Francisco Kino, S.J., rode into the Pimería Alta – Upper
Pima Country - on March 14, 1687. He died in Magdalena, Sonora, Mexico on
March 15, 1711.  In those twenty-four years he started mission programs
in twenty-two villages. Thirteen of these villages still have
colonial-period churches, all but two of which are of later, post-1767,
Franciscan date. All are interesting buildings with great stories, and
many are well-stocked with exciting colonial-period religious art.

	Jim said “I’ll be showing slides of these standing colonial churches,
telling some of the stories and legends, and showing some of the art
associated with them. Like the SMRC Kino Mission Tours I’ve been involved
with for over twenty years, this will be a journey into present-day
Sonora and Arizona, with strong roots in the past. The talk will include
glimpses of fiestas, food, buried treasure tales (lots of stories, no
treasure!), a little art history, a little regional history, and much
more.”

	Come one, come all!  No reservations are needed to attend Old Pueblo’s
Third Thursdays programs.

*****

Here are some other activities coming up with Old Pueblo Archaeology
Center & Some Other Organizations; for details please contact Old Pueblo
at 798-1201 or [log in to unmask] or visit our web site www.oldpueblo.org:

November 17, 2007. Arrowhead-making and flintknapping workshop at Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center with Sam Greenleaf

November 28, 2007. “What Do We Do with Our Ancestors?” free presentation
at Sierra Vista Library, Sierra Vista*

November 29, 2007. “Archaeology and Cultures of Arizona” free presentation
at Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, Patagonia*

December 4, 2007. “Casa Grande Ruins and Middle Gila Valley Archaeology
and History” (ST147) Pima Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

December 15, 2007. Arrowhead-making and flintknapping workshop at Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center with Sam Greenleaf

December 18, 2007. “Tucson-Marana Rock Art and Archaeology” (ST149) Pima
Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

December 20, 2007. “Third Thursdays” program at Old Pueblo [Speaker and
topic to be announced]

January 8, 2008. “Ventana Cave and Tohono O’odham Nation Archaeology and
Culture” (ST146) Pima Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

January 10, 2008. “Arts and Culture of Ancient Southern Arizona Hohokam
Indians” free presentation at Indian Hills Public Library, Salome*

January 15, 2008. “What Do We Do with Our Ancestors?” free presentation at
Clemenceau School Museum, Cottonwood, Arizona*

January 17, 2008. “Third Thursdays” program at Old Pueblo [Speaker and
topic to be announced]

January 18, 2008. “Arts and Culture of Ancient Southern Arizona Hohokam
Indians” free presentation at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument,
Coolidge*

January 22, 2008. “Casa Grande Ruins and Middle Gila Valley Archaeology
and History” (ST147) Pima Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

January 24, 2008. “Set in Stone but Not in Meaning: Southwestern Indian
Rock Art” free presentation at Sonoita Creek State Natural Area,
Patagonia*

February 3-March 16, 2008 (Sundays). Traditional Pottery Making Level 1
Workshop with John Guerin at Old Pueblo

February 5, 2008. “Ventana Cave and Tohono O’odham Nation Archaeology and
Culture” (ST146) Pima Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

February 15, 2008. “Archaeology and Cultures of Arizona” free presentation
at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, Coolidge*

February 19, 2008. “Tucson-Marana Rock Art and Archaeology” (ST149) Pima
Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

February 21, 2008. "Third Thursdays" program at Old Pueblo, "Ancient
Burial Practices at the Yuma Wash Hohokam Archaeological Site" by
bioarchaeologists John A. McClelland & Jessica Cerezo-Roman

February 26, 2008. “Ventana Cave and Tohono O’odham Nation Archaeology and
Culture” (ST146) Pima Community College study tour with Allen Dart*

February 28, 2008. “What Do We Do with Our Ancestors?” free presentation
at Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, Patagonia*

March 1, 2008. “Ventana Cave and Tohono O’odham Nation Archaeology Month
Tour” with archaeologist Allen Dart

March 12, 2008. “What Do We Do with Our Ancestors?” free presentation at
Scottsdale Civic Center Library, Scottsdale*

March 13, 2008. “Ancient Native American Pottery of Southern Arizona” free
presentation at Sonoita Creek State Natural Area, Patagonia*

March 20, 2008. “Third Thursdays” program at Old Pueblo, "Excavations at a
Prehistoric Gateway Community in the Upper San Pedro Valley" by
archaeologist Douglas B. Craig

March 21, 2008. “Ancient Native American Pottery of Southern Arizona” free
presentation at Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, Coolidge*

March 28, 2008. "Male Bonding Around the Campfire: Constructing Myths of
Hohokam Militarism" free presentation by Professor Ann Hibner Koblitz at
Old Pueblo

April 16-May 17, 2008 (Sundays). Traditional Pottery Making Level 2
Workshop with John Guerin at Old Pueblo

* Asterisked programs are sponsored by other organizations besides Old
Pueblo Archaeology Center.

# # #