HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Monique E. Kimball" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:09:37 -0700
Ashley,

Jim Rock of the Forest Service put together a series of commentaries
regarding tin cans.  He noted that the sterno can appeared in c. 1916.  It
was manufactured by the drawn process - a piece of sheet metal was punched
into shape providing the base and the sides, with a top end added after the
contents.  I don't have my copy of this version here at the office, but I
can check at home and give you his source(s) for it later.  Here's the
citation I use,

Rock, James T.
1989 Tin Canisters, Their Identification.  Rev. ed.  Ms. on file, USDA
Forest Service, Klamath National Forest, Yreka, California.

He wrote two versions that year, hence the "Rev. ed."

Hope this helps you,

Niki Kimball