HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jun 2009 15:18:03 -0700
Re the converted outbuildings...

    This is still being done.  My aunt lives in a converted turkey barn, no
foundation, wood walls placed directly on the dirt.  It was built in the
1910s, I believe.  Floor is currently sheet linoleum (or rather the vinyl
equivalent) on dirt.  Now has an exterior of stucco and interior is
sheetrock, but when they moved in is was all raw wood with a few feathers
still there.  Poop was scraped out.  Rural location.
    An archaeologist I know has an old outhouse I believe he told me he
converted into a leanto shed, attached to his old house, circa 1850s.  Was
rural, now in town.
    My neighbor's house was set on trunks with the bark still on them; it
was built ca 1887.  Its current kitchen was a shed moved and attached to the
house around 1900, and encased with matching siding.  A farm, originally now
in suburbs.
    I know of a house built of packing crates obtained from the nearby
railroad yard.  Built circa 1930, on wooden piers.  Didn't start out as a
house, it was a storage shack, but turned into a residence a decade or so
after.  Last year the object of a community refurbishment.  In an old
residential neighborhood.
    Another house here started out as an underground tool storage area, that
part is now the lower floor of a house.  All the lumber was salvaged.  Built
in the 1960s.  Within a subdivision.

    People are opportunists!

    These are my favorite types of houses.  I love these vernacular
makeovers.